Plaid Friday celebrates the diversity and creativity of local and independent businesses. It’s a fun and enjoyable alternative to the big box store “Black Friday” consumer frenzy. Also, it’s a way to show your support for our local economy. So plan to wear PLAID all day on November 29th!
Plaid Friday History
Plaid Friday was created in Oakland, CA to bring back the times when shopping for friends and family was a pleasurable leisurely activity. Now it is celebrated throughout the nation as part of the Shop Indie Local Campaign.
Here’s how Indies celebrate Plaid Friday:
- Encourage your staff (and your partner’s staff) to wear plaid on November 29th (Not open on Plaid Friday? Check out what Badger Balm does the day before Thanksgiving)
- Photograph customers who visit your business wearing plaid (browse our photos for inspiration)
- If you offer any holiday specials/sales/event, brand them as a Shop Indie Local or Plaid Friday promotion
- Create a display featuring locally made items
- Use plaid ribbon, tissue paper or buy local bags
- Have ideas to add? Please share them with us!
Here’s how one community celebrates: Plaid Friday in the Monadnock Region, NH