Ways to Participate in Shift Your Shopping
- Use the Shift Your Shopping banner image on your social media pages, website, ads…
- Download the Shift Your Shopping logos to use in your ads, promotions, social media pages, etc., during the holidays
- Ask social media followers to post to social media using one of our templates
- Be part of Shift Your Shopping For Good, our new program encouraging customers to shop local businesses giving a portion of purchases to charity.
- Distribute Public Service Announcements (PSAs). These professionally-produced PSAs are designed for you to provide your local radio stations and help spread the pro-local message where it will do the most for you–in your own community. All broadcast radio stations are required to air occasional PSAs as a condition of using public airwaves.
- “Boost Your Local Economy” (30 seconds) introduces some of the economic benefits of choosing local and independent.
- “You Shouldn’t Have” takes a light-hearted approach to deliver the “buy local” message while playing up the value of giving unique gifts from indies rather than generic items (co- branded with AMIBA, which also provides PSAs you can use year-round).
- Link to this site from your business site and mention it in your newsletter
- Download a poster for your store. Customized versions of Shift Your Shopping ads/posters also are available.
More Holiday Campaign Ideas and Resources to Instigate a Year-Round Pro-Local Business Initiative in Your Community
The American Independent Business Alliance
AMIBA is dedicated to helping independent businesses and communities organize effective public education campaigns and broader pro-local initiatives. Their primer on building effective “buy local” campaigns is available free upon request (pdf). AMIBA provides a wide array of seasonal “go local” graphics, activity ideas & more.
Small Business Saturday
Small Business Saturday has made a big impact in shifting much of the post-Thanksgiving shopping media coverage to focus on independent retailers.
The creative and joyful independent alternative to big box Black Friday. Plaid is the new black!